Unlike white bread, wholemeal bread is made from unrefined flour, whole grain, and bran . The minimum percentage that whole wheat bread must have, to be considered as such, is 30% unrefined flour. Although in some countries only bread made from 100% unrefined flour is considered whole wheat bread. This recipe that we will see below is the basis for preparing a good wholemeal garlic bread. The proportions can be varied according to the taste of the cook.
Garlic is rich in lectins prostaglandins, fructan, pectins, adenosine and vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, and E, fatty acids, glycolipids, and essential amino acids, in addition to having high levels of manganese, potassium, calcium and phosphorus. Garlic contributes to whole wheat bread, in addition to its peculiar flavor, a whole range of benefits for arterial circulation. Garlic is naturally included in a wide variety of recipes, such as soups, stews, roasts, fish, vegetables, and breads. It enhances the final flavor of the meals and gives the breads a particular texture.
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar chewed
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Preheat oven to 190º and lightly grease a tall, elongated mold . To make it easier to remove from the mold, it is better to use baking paper.
- Sift the flour, add the baking powder and then the salt, sugar, grated cheese garlic, olive oil and seeds.
- Slowly stir all the ingredients with the help of a spatula until you get a homogeneous mixture. You don’t need to love it.
- Put the dough in the mold and gently smooth the top . Spread the melted butter on top using a spoon.
- Bake the bread for about 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- You can also check if it has been cooked well inside by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the dough . If, when removed, it is clean and does not have crumbs attached, you can now remove it from the oven.
This wholemeal garlic bread is enriched with the olive oil, seeds and aromatic plants that you have added, but you can do without all those additions if you want to try the classic wholemeal garlic bread. You can also use fresh yeast. In this way, the dough will be more spongy and bulky.