The whiting is the hatchling or is the smallest hake, from 1 to 1.5 kilos; when it is larger than that it is already officially called hake. It comes from 70% of the Cantabrian coast, and when it weighs up to 500 grams it is considered thin, and fat when it weighs more. The one that comes from the Mediterranean is called the whiting whiting, and weighs up to 200 grams. He usually eats the whole piece because it is usually small, like this whiting in zucchini sauce .
The main difference between hake and whiting is, as we have seen, the weight. Hakes from 1.5 to 2.5 kilos are sold in pieces and cut (slices, loins or fillets). According to some experts, the whiting is juicier and the flavor is quite similar, but its price is significantly lower and the texture is different. Hake has fewer spines and is more suitable for children. As for the whiting, it is better to cook it in the oven .
- 500 grams of whiting
- 100 grams of chirlas or clams
- 1 egg
- 300 ml of fish broth
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- Parsley to taste
- Freshly roasted saffron threads
- Oil for frying
How to prepare the whiting in zucchini sauce:
- Clean the whiting and cut it into large pieces.
- Flour the whiting and pass it through the beaten egg .
- In a large frying pan put oil to heat. When hot, fry the whiting on both sides and set aside.
- Chop the onion and garlic in brunoise . Cut the zucchini into medium squares .
- Remove part of the oil from the pan, saute the onion .
- When the onion is transparent add the garlic, stir slightly and add the zucchini . Stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of flour and saute .
- Incorporate the fish stock and the saffron threads . Leave to cook for five minutes.
- Rectify the point of salt .
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- If desired, grind the sauce . If not, move to a baking dish, add the chirlas, the finely chopped parsley and the whiting. Bake 5 minutes at 200 ° C.
Prepare the whiting in zucchini sauce and serve with steamed vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and potatoes (or any vegetable of your choice). If you like fresh salads more, you can serve the dish with a salad of rucala, tomato and black olives. You will also combine this dish excellently with rich white rice.