What is pineapple, Effects, types, benefits and properties.
Pineapple is a fruit belonging to the family of bromeliads. Its scientific name is Ananas comosus. It sprouts, every three years, from a tree of scarce size. She is a native of South America where the native Indians called her pineapple. Europe arrived with the expeditions of Christopher Columbus and acquired the name we know in Spanish, pineapple, for its formal resemblance to the fruit of the pine. Needless to say, nothing has to do with one product with another. Although in Spain and, therefore, in Europe is present in the markets since 1492, it has not been until the last decades when it has become widespread, popularized and normalized.
And it is so because, at present, it is cultivated in the warmer zones of the Mediterranean, although we can also find it of import. These tend to be of the smaller varieties and with a flavor different from those standardized in the European market. The fact that it is cultivated in European areas has popularized the product at the same time that it has cheapened its price by reducing costs.
The pineapple can be found throughout the year although the best, fresh and seasonal, begin to flood the shelves of fruit shops and supermarkets from November. It is a fruit associated with Christmas.
Its greenish-brown skin is quite hard, but it is easily peeled. The interior is yellow, juicy, with enough liquid and a sweet spot. It has a very particular texture, fibrous and a little hard. It is a delicious fruit! You have to choose mature specimens that are firm to the touch and that have all the leaves, which should not be mottled or passed.
Most Common Pineapple Types In European Markets
Like any fruit or vegetable, nature produces different kinds of pineapples. The most common in the western market are the following:
Piña Amazonas , from Brazil, very large, yellow and very juicy.
Pineapple Pernambuco , native of that locality of the Brazilian Catinga, that barely reaches 500 grams and is used to make the typical syrups.
Queen pineapple , with little juice and drier than the Amazon. It has a rounded shape.
Pineapple Smoth Cavenne , the most common in the market. It is long and weighs a little more than a kilo. It is sweet and delicious. It is the one we recommend since it is also grown in the Mediterranean area. When being produced closer does not lose its properties with the transfer and / or the conservation in cold.
Properties of Pineapple
Pineapple has virtually all vitamins and minerals. It is especially rich in potassium and vitamin C, although papaya or kiwi have more of this vitamin. It has only 41 calories per 100 grams. It’s fantastic in weight loss diets! And also to reduce abdominal fat accumulated in people with fibromyalgia . Pineapple is one of the essential foods, whatever your diet.
But the most healing and healthy property of the pineapple lies in the bromelain, an enzyme that is concentrated in the stem. Although it is present in the juice, it is destroyed by cooking, freezing or manipulating it. That is why it is advisable to take raw and fresh pineapple to take advantage of all its qualities.
The pineapple season is associated with summer, drinks on the beach, sun and hot destinations. In addition to its proven beneficial properties, the fact that we associate it with a relaxed and easy life makes us like it more. The brain acts like this: despite being a product of Mediterranean culture, it still seems exotic and far away. And that makes it even more beneficial! Do not forget that a positive attitude acts effectively at the health level. And we are not just talking about psychic stability, we are also referring to the purely physical level.
Benefits Of Pineapple For Health
With the pineapple have been made more than 800 scientific studies throughout the last decades of the twentieth century. It has shown a host of medicinal effects that we can summarize in the following:
- It reduces the formation of blood clots and seems to help remove plaque from the arteries. Therefore, it is beneficial for large and small. It is a help for people with high cholesterol, with varicose veins or who have suffered some type of cardiovascular disease.
- Therefore, it helps to prevent heart attacks of all kinds even if you do not have to go to that extreme to fall into a disease of this type.
- It also improves arterial stenosis and the general condition of patients who have suffered from angina. That is, its effect is not only preventive, it is also curative. And here there are few foods.
- Bromelain is a powerful enzyme that metabolizes proteins. This makes it easier and helps to make good digestions. This is where the pineapple has been opening a gap in the Christmas tables during the last decades. Above all it serves to facilitate the digestion of meat fats.
- It is a powerful anti-inflammatory. It seems that bromelain contributes to hinder the prostaglandins that cause the swelling. There are already numerous scientific studies that relate diseases of all types (including cancer) to chronic inflammatory states.
- Both its anti-inflammatory and anti-coagulant effects make the pineapple is also used in the fight against cellulite (which, in essence, is an accumulation of fats due to the swelling produced by poor circulation). Needless to say, in nature, there is no miracle product. You will not reduce cellulite just by taking pineapple. One thing is to help you and another is that only with that you will achieve your goals. Take this information intelligently and understand that its effects are part of a healthy diet and lifestyle where sport has to be a routine.
- Its beneficial effects have been demonstrated in rheumatoid arthritis, in the ulcers produced by diabetes and in the repair of scars.
- It is one of the best foods, along with artichoke and horsetail to reduce volume and benefit from its diuretic effect. In contrast to other traditional weight loss products, such as guarana , it does not offer any side effects.
Effects of pineapple on the body
Pineapple enzymes act on proteins by “breaking” them easily. This contributes not only to a good digestion but also to the elimination of waste. That is why pineapple is used as an adjuvant in diets to lose weight or in diets in which it is necessary to fight against fluid retention. In times of feasts like Christmas , it is almost a medicine taken as a dessert since it helps the body in general to recover from so many excesses.
For its effects to be more beneficial you still have to take it raw at the end of eating and accompanied if it can be of some type of healthy infusion . It can be of the relaxing type but also of some tisane that serves to reduce the effects of the swollen belly .
The pineapple can also be squeezed or part of fruit juice cocktails. It is delicious combined with tisanes and even as part of desserts, gelatins or meat recipes. Keep in mind that, when heated, it loses a good part of its beneficial properties. Therefore, we must try to take it as fresh as possible and without any elaboration. The pineapple in syrup or processed that sell in ordinary supermarkets does not offer the same medicinal benefits as the fresh fruit.
The Beneficial Effects Of Pineapple For Cellulite And Weight Loss Diets
One option for the fight against cellulite are pills or pineapple pills. They act on cellulite, favoring the movement (and therefore the destruction and elimination) of fat. It also helps to dilute the edema (for its anti-inflammatory effect). If you have decided on this option, I reiterate that you must frame this within a healthy lifestyle in which you eliminate sedentary lifestyle while having an adequate diet.
Bromelain prevents the absorption of sugars by stabilizing insulin levels. Therefore, it is an almost essential food in diets to lose weight. Why? Because it is very low in calories, because, by stabilizing insulin levels, the feeling of satiety lasts longer. This effect is also enhanced by its large amount of fiber. And, importantly, bromelain helps break down fats easily. Therefore, it facilitates its elimination.
The consumption of this delicious and exquisite fruit must be incorporated as the basis of a healthy, balanced and sensible diet. It’s no use eating pineapple one or two days a week and then stuffing yourself with caloric or high-fat foods. The diets these famous that leave every certain time that consist of eating a food (as pineapple) one day a week and the rest of days gorge on everything is absolutely useless. No matter how much publicity is made! The only possible thing that takes effect is the diet of good sense. Here you can incorporate the pineapple. Do you sign up to eat pineapple daily?