The Victoria Sponge Cake with Strawberries is a dessert created in honor of British Queen Victoria . The queen used to order tea accompanied by this delicious cake for a snack hence its popularity. This cake is layered, alternating sponge cake with cream and strawberries. The texture is soft and fluffy, the preparation of the cake is very simple and requires little time in the kitchen. Its appeal is the combination of the textures and flavors of sweet cream with the sour touch of strawberry.
Strawberry is an important source of vitamin C . Thanks to this it has antioxidant qualities. It is a natural anti-inflammatory, in addition to protecting healthy body cells. This fruit also contains fiber, which favors digestive function and generates satiety. Likewise, regular consumption of strawberries helps to reduce cholesterol levels, avoiding the risks of cardiovascular diseases.
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ tablespoon vanilla in essence
- ¼ kg. of fresh strawberries
- 1 cup of cold whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- A pinch of salt
How to prepare Victoria Sponge Cake with strawberries:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Whisk the eggs vigorously with an electric mixer . Add the vanilla, salt and sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes. The mixture should be whitish in color and should be spongy.
- Sift the wheat flour and add it little by little to the previous mixture. Mix subtly with enveloping movements.
- Grease an ovenproof pan with the butter and then sprinkle with flour.
- Pour the cake mix into the pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, remove from the oven and place the turned mold on a tray to flatten its shape . Let stand for 10 minutes to remove from mold and allow to cool completely.
- When it has cooled, make two horizontal cuts to the cake .
- Wash and cut the strawberries into small pieces. Reserve five to decorate the cake, cut in half.
- Whisk the cold cream and icing sugar vigorously until the cream is whipped.
- Fill each cut of the cake with the cream and pieces of strawberries.
- Sprinkle icing sugar over the cake and decorate with the strawberries .
Prepare this delicious Victoria Sponge Cake with strawberries on someone special’s birthday. It is a cake that everyone will love for its smooth texture and exquisite flavor.