This is an ideal time to learn to caramelize nuts and serve a delicious snack at our next celebration with family and friends. Alone or as part of other recipes, the caramelised nuts are one of the most interesting snacks not only for their taste, but also for their nutritional properties.
Walnuts are among the healthiest nuts, as they help lower cholesterol . But we can also use peanuts, very healthy for the cardiovascular system, as well as almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pistachios, etc. Many people avoid eating nuts because they are considered high in calories. But although they have many fats, they are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, that is, healthy.
How to scrap nuts
- 200 grams of dried fruit
- 80 grams of sugar
- 40 ml of water
- Kitchen thermometer
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir with a wooden spatula constantly.
- Measure the water with a thermometer. When it reaches 117ºC, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the dried fruit.
- Continue stirring out of the fire until the fruits are coated with sugar.
- Return to the fire and continue stirring until the sugar begins to turn into caramel . At that time, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Remove the dried fruits with the help of a spoon and spread them on a plate, so that they are separated from each other.
- Wait for them to cool completely and store them in a glass or plastic container, with a lid.
- You can eat them alone or use them to prepare various traditional recipes with caramelized nuts.
Ideas to caramelize dried fruit
- Peanut squash
The peanut caramel is a perfect sweet snack to accompany a family movie instead of popcorn . To prepare it, you can use sweet peeled peanuts or roast it at home, peel it, sugar it and use it for garrapiñar.
- Caramelised nuts and seeds
Walnuts are ideal for garrapiñar and you can accompany them with other nuts or healthy seeds, such as flax and sunflower. To prepare them you just need to follow the traditional recipe incorporating a cocktail of nuts and s eeds.
Whatever dried fruit you choose, the caramelised will be enjoyed by adults and children in the family. Once you keep it in a closed container it lasts a long time that’s why you can prepare a good provision to have at home.
Do you know how to claw nuts? Leave us your favorite recipe. Share this idea for cooking in Lent, everyone will want to test their culinary skills with these delicacies.