The tangerine and banana sponge cake is a delicious dessert that combines the sweetness of the banana with a citrus touch . This citrus flavor is given by tangerine, a fruit that is very popular for its refreshing flavor. The sponge cake acquires a spongy texture and is presented with a coating of mandarin juice glaze. It is an ideal recipe for birthdays or to be accompanied with tea or coffee in the afternoon as a snack.
Tangerine is a citrus fruit that contains large amounts of vitamin C. Among its nutrients, potassium stands out, whose benefits favor the production of red blood cells. In the same way, its content in folic acid, favors the production of red blood cells. Therefore, its consumption is recommended in people with anemia and pregnant women.
For the cake:
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 4 ripe tangerines
- 1 150 ml banana yogurt.
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 cups of wheat flour
- 10 gr. yeast powder
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of butter
For the icing:
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 tangerines (the juice)
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Crushed ice
How to prepare a tangerine and banana cake:
- Peel and cut the bananas into pieces.
- Wash two tangerines and cut them into four parts with their peel. Remove the seeds.
- Extract the juice from the two tangerines Reserve.
- In a blender glass, add the bananas and tangerines. Add the yogurt, vanilla, sugar, oil and eggs. Beat for 1 minute until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- In a bowl, pour the previous mixture. Gradually add flour and yeast. Mix r with the help of a wooden trowel, making enveloping movements.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- In a baking sheet, add a tablespoon of butter to grease all its edges and bottom . Flour it and pour the cake mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing pouring the sugar and cornstarch into a hand blender container. Beat little by little, incorporating small pieces of ice until obtaining a rubbery texture.
- Then, add the juice of two tangerines, mix until obtaining the desired texture.
- Once the cake is baked, remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- When it is totally cold, add the mandarin icing on top. It can be decorated with tangerine segments on the glaze.
If you want a dessert for a gathering between friends, this tangerine and banana cake is the ideal one. The combination of flavors of these two fruits is spectacular.