Pumpkin and sunflower seeds are seeds with an intense flavor. Both have an incredible amount of nutritional properties that favor different bodily processes. That is why the sunflower seed and pumpkin seed pesto which is an ideal choice today . And not only for its nutritional values, but for the flavor that both seeds give to this sauce so elaborated worldwide.
The pumpkin seeds have a great caloric index but also a good contribution in fiber, proteins, vitamins A and C, folic acid, and a very interesting mineral content: calcium 98 mg, magnesium 262 mg, potassium 919 mg (per 100 grams of seeds), in addition to zinc, phosphorus, iron and sodium in smaller amounts. Their anti-inflammatory properties and their enormous magnesium content make them allies against cardiovascular problems and weak bones, especially in the elderly. On the other hand, help sleep quality because they are rich in tryptophan .
On the other hand, the sunflower seeds are also rich in magnesium, selenium, phosphorous and zinc and in vitamins E and group B. They have an important phytosterol index, which reduces the amount of bad cholesterol that the body absorbs. They also provide a large amount of kcal (574), so in both cases a moderate consumption is recommended, but habitual in the diet, which is quite easy because they are highly versatile in the kitchen.
- 200 grams of pumpkin seeds
- 200 grams of sunflower seeds
- 5 grams of lemon zest
- 125 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make a sunflower seed and pumpkin seed pesto:
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Mix the pipes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spread in a single layer and toast for 5 to 10 minutes only until they start to roast without taking on too much color.
- Let cool and set aside.
- In a food processor or grinder, put the roasted pipes with the lemon zest . Grind at short intervals until a granular powder remains.
- Add salt and black pepper and grind a little more.
- Add half of the oil and work until it is completely incorporated.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice and add the oil little by little, until obtaining a creamy texture without becoming liquid (it should be dense).
- Rectify salt if necessary.
When you prepare this sunflower seed and pumpkin seed pesto, store it in jars and top with olive oil to preserve it better. If you want you can use it as a pate or spreadable cream, and if you want it as a sauce just add more olive oil, until it has a more liquid density.