Red cabbage, also known as purple or red cabbage, is a cabbage with a slight sweet taste, highly appreciated in kitchens around the world. It is consumed the same as the other varieties of cabbage and is available throughout the year. The attractive magenta or purple color of its leaves makes any dish very colorful, such as the red cabbage salad and vegan mayonnaise that we will see next.
Red cabbage is the variety of cabbages richest in selenium, that helps to lower blood pressure and oxygenates muscle tissue generates antibodies and detoxifies the heavy metal body. Those responsible for its beautiful color, anthocyanins, protect the capillaries of the retina, and therefore it is highly recommended for those with diabetes, glaucoma or tired eyes.
Likewise, this vegetable has diuretic properties due to its high content of potassium and other sulfur compounds that is why it is indicated for purification diets . Its contribution of fiber is recommended in diets to lose weight, since it helps the feeling of satiety, provides very few calories and also has laxative properties.
- 2 cups of white cabbage
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- Parsley to taste
- 60 grams of macadamia nuts
- 60 grams of cashews
- 3 dates without bone
- 120 ml of water
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to prepare the red cabbage salad and vegan mayonnaise:
- To prepare the vegan mayonnaise : in the mixer glass mix the nuts, cashews, dates, water, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and lemon, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Beat until you get a creamy sauce, homogeneous and well linked. Reserve in the fridge.
- Wash and chop the cabbages in julienne (very fine).
- Chop the onion into julienne strips (it can be less if you don’t want its flavor to predominate).
- Mix everything, season with salt and pepper, add the cider vinegar and mayonnaise and stir again .
- Garnish with parsley .
If you like salads try making this salad of red cabbage and vegan mayonnaise, which everyone will like. It is easy to prepare and is a very light and digestive dish. Vegan mayonnaise is a success to accompany cabbage, and it also has a slightly more acidic point than normal mayonnaise, which gives it the right touch that combines with the intensity of cabbage.