These crispy sponge cakes are special for that sweet moment, after lunch or dinner, or to accompany a steaming coffee. Healthy and nutritious, they provide a good dose of energy that revitalizes the most tired. Children will love to collaborate in the preparation, especially in the assembly of the balls. Creativity, ingenuity, and personal taste will add a special touch to the basic recipe below.
The history of these chocolates tells us that it was the result of the recycling of those remains of sponge cake that are left and that must be used . A piece of cake that no one eats, a handful of nuts, a few remains of chocolate powder … The truth is that they are a delicious snack .
- 600 grams of sponge cake of any flavor. It can be substituted with pastries or vanilla cookies if you prefer them more crisp.
- 70 grams of butter
- 150 grams of chocolate powder
- 150 grams of puffed corn or rice flakes
- 50 grams of walnuts
- 150 grams of dulce de leche
How to prepare these crispy sponge cakes:
- The first step is to crumble the cake to transform it into crumbs. It can be done manually or in a processor.
- Add the chocolate powder, and mix it.
- Chopped walnuts are incorporated.
- For this recipe, it is convenient that the dulce de leche is soft . Therefore, it is taken in a water bath. Butter is added so that both ingredients are mixed in the heat.
- Now it’s time to combine the dry ingredients with the dulce de leche and the butter. Work the mixture with a spatula. A sticky dough will form. In case it does not arm due to lack of liquid, add one or two tablespoons of milk.
- Keep the preparation in the refrigerator for one hour.
Assembling the chocolates
- Grinding corn flakes or puffed rice, to be used for topping.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Take by teaspoons.
- Shape the balls to the desired size.
- Batter in the crispy flakes or rice.
- They can be placed in paper capsules or simply on a tray.
- Keep in refrigerator until serving time.
You can vary this recipe according to your tastes. You can use or chocolate chips, which children love. Instead of crispy corn flakes or puffed rice, you can coat them in ground nuts, or simply dip the chocolates in dark or white chocolate.