In our daily routine, we do not always have the time or the desire to spend hours cooking. So eventually we resort to quick and easy preparations to fix a refection or please our guests. Today's recipe is perfect for these occasions: we present you an exquisite prawn and leek puff pastry which will be ready in just a few minutes.
On the other hand, the simplicity of its elaboration does not diminish the nutritional merits of this dish. With prawns we get a good supply of lean protein and numerous minerals typical of seafood. In turn, leeks contain vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants and sulfur compounds with carcinogenic action. Also, since they are low-fat and low-carbohydrate ingredients, they balance the calorie intake of the puff pastry and give a lighter touch to each bite.
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- Puff pastry (to make it easier, we can directly purchase the wafers or dumplings)
- 2 whole leeks
- 24 fresh prawns
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Mayonnaise or other dressing to taste
- Buds to decorate (optional – we can use alfafa or canons, which are spectacular).
How to prepare prawn and confit leek puff pastry:
- The first thing we need to do is prepare the puff pastry base . If we choose to buy a roll of dough, we will have to cut discs of approximately five centimeters in diameter. To save time, we can directly purchase ready-made puff pastry wafers.
- In a plate or baking tray we arrange the wafers and gently prick with a fork . Next, we bake until they turn a nice golden color, which usually takes 10 to 12 minutes. We take the tray out of the oven and let the puff pastry base harden.
- Meanwhile, we are going to prepare the sauteed leeks . First of all, we thoroughly clean the logs to remove any dirt residue or impurities. We cut them finely and bring over low heat in a pan with olive oil. Our goal is for leeks to be tender and candied not to brown quickly. Therefore, we will keep the fire very soft for around 20 minutes. We give a point of salt.
- When the leeks are tender, drain the excess oil (if any) and reserve it for use when it is time to assemble.
- Next, we must cook the fresh prawns and there are many techniques to do it. In this preparation, we cook them quickly in boiling salted water (about 3 minutes) and then we pass them in very cold water to cut the cooking. If you want to make it easier, you can opt for pre-cooked prawns.
- Once cooked, we peel the shrimp and remove the intestine by means of a small cut on the side.
- Done! It is time to assemble our prawn and confit leek puff pastry. To do this, we take a puff pastry base, on which we have a litter of candied leeks and three prawns. To decorate and give the appetizer more freshness, we put a drop of mayonnaise in the center of the shrimp and finish with some sprouts.
In total, we need less than half an hour to prepare and serve this exquisite snack. Now, tell us … What did you think of the recipe? How would you serve it in your home? Dare to prepare your own version and share with us the results in the comments!