Melon cannelloni with cream and Catalan cream are a very original and fresh dessert, to get out of the routine. This recipe uses the traditional cream burned with yolks and milk that, like many other dishes, originated from an error. They say that some nuns prepared a flan to receive the visit of the bishop, but this did not materialize. In order not to waste it, they decided to put sugar on it and burn it. Thus was born the Catalan cream as delicious as it is simple.
To give an even more special touch to the typical recipe, you can prepare some melon cannelloni with cream and Catalan cream. The fruit with a sweet flavor and soft pulp combines perfectly with the rest of the ingredients. A bite of this dessert melts on the palate, conquering all diners. Of course, we have the vitamins from melon which contains almost no calories.
- 1 melon
- 1 liter of milk
- 8 buds
- 100 gr of sugar
- 20 gr of cornstarch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 50 gr of icing sugar
- 200 ml of cream
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
How to prepare melon cannelloni with cream and Catalan cream:
- Peel the melon, and cut it in half. Extract the seeds and cut the pulp into longitudinal sheets, very thin. Reserve.
- Beat the cream to a firm point, with the icing sugar and the vanilla essence.
- Fill the melon sheets and roll as if they were ordinary cannelloni. Arrange one next to the other in a fountain.
- For the Catalan cream, put the milk in a saucepan to heat together with the orange zest and cinnamon.
- Besides, mix the starch with the sugar.
- Add the yolks and beat vigorously to obtain a thick foamy cream.
- Pass the cream through a strainer.
- When the milk begins to boil, pour the beaten yolks.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or the rods until the preparation breaks the boil again.
- Turn off the heat, remove the cinnamon stick and let it cool down.
- When the cream is lukewarm, cover the melon and cream cannelloni.
- Let the melon cannelloni cool with cream and Catalan cream in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap.
- Before serving, sprinkle sugar and with a torch, burn the surface until caramelized.
- Serve one or two per plate.
Melon cannelloni with cream and Catalan cream can be served after a light meal. Both children and adults will enjoy this exquisite dessert from start to finish.