Preparing a pigeon paella is not the same as making it with chicken or seafood. The wood pigeon, which is the one consumed, is a game bird, with a very special flavor in the kitchen. The chicks, and themselves, were previously raised in large houses, lofts and farmhouses, and consumption was common. However, with the new habits of the 1970s in the production of domestic animals with mechanized and industrial procedures, the breeding of these birds fell into disuse and consequently their consumption.
However, there are still those who are dedicated to the breeding and selection of pigeons, and although before any preparation with these birds adorned a humble table, today they appear especially in restaurants associated with hunting or specialized in certain animals . It is an expensive product of which the breast is eaten more; experts recommend leaving the blood behind, which is why the breasts have a reddish color. It tastes like a mixture of fresh liver and duck sirloin delicious and delicate.
- 200 grams of rice type bomb
- 4 pigeon breasts
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 150 grams of mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 leek
- 1 carrot
- 1 piece of celery
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 100 ml of a good wine
- Saffron on freshly toasted strands
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to prepare a pigeon paella:
- In a paella pan, fry the chopped pigeon breasts .
- Cut all the vegetables into brunoise, as small as possible.
- When the breasts are well browned add the onion. Remove.
- When it is colored, add the tomato and the carrot and leave for 10 minutes, add the peppers, the leek and the celery, and saute everything together for 10 more minutes .
- Add the mushrooms cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to fry well with all the other ingredients .
- In a little warm water, dissolve the saffron threads .
- Pour water to cover the rice, along with the wine and saffron over high heat.
- Season and add the bay leaf, thyme and rosemary . If desired, add nutmeg.
- Let cook for 20 minutes until the rice is ready.
If you want to try a truly different dish, experiment with this pigeon paella. Remember not to move the rice once you have mixed it with the water, and enjoy a good glass of wine.