Pil pil is a traditional technique of Basque gastronomy. It is usually made with fish, usually eels or cod, although can be made with any other ingredient, such as this recipe for pil pil mushrooms. It is an emulsion based on olive oil essential for preparing the pil pil, and the fish is confit to achieve it. Must be done by cooking the oil at low temperature.
In practice, garlic cut into slices and added to the cold oil will not burn and will be rather crisp. Is called “pil pil” in allusion to the sound that fish makes when it is cooked together with the oil, produced by the water it releases and by gelatin bubbles (from the fish) that explode on the surface. When done in the traditional way, is linked in a clay pot with constant movements with the hands.
The recipe for the pil pil with mushrooms is suitable for vegans. In this case, mushrooms replace fish as a protein and nutritional source. Its flavor makes them ideal for any preparation, but it is also a highly healthy food whose consumption should be included in all diets. They are rich in minerals such as iron, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, selenium, iodine, potassium and zinc; in vitamins A, C, D and group B, especially B1, B2 and B3. They have a high water content, without fat, their proteins are of the highest quality and contain a lot of fiber .
- 300 grams of mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- A splash of white wine
How to prepare the recipe for mushrooms pil pil:
- Clean the mushrooms very well preferably with a damp cloth.
- Cut them into strips . Book.
- Cut the garlic into thin sheets .
- Put olive oil in a clay pot . Cold, add the garlic .
- Put them to cook on low heat .
- Add the mushrooms . When they are slightly cooked then add the wine.
- You have to link the sauce with back and forth movements, made with the hands. That’s the pil pil.
- Let cook for 10 minutes add salt and add the chopped parsley.
- Try and rectify salt if necessary.
- Serve hot .
With this recipe for mushrooms al pil pil you can complete a snack, which will be ideal for you. It is a very simple, cheap and healthy preparation that will delight everyone. Try to make it and accompany it with crackers, but you can also put it as a garnish for a main dish, it can be meat or poultry, and also fish, of course.