This mushroom and manchego cheese strudel is a variation of the many around the puff pastry so appreciated in world gastronomies. Although it is part of the culinary tradition of Germany and Austria and the countries that made up the former Austro-Hungarian empire, the truth is that this dough probably comes from Armenian or Turkish cuisine. Thanks to the Ottoman Empire and its centuries of occupation in countries like Hungary or Greece.
The origin of the strudel can be found in the Austro-Hungarian Empire or in Hungary. From here he went to Vienna, and became what he is today, an important component of his cuisine. In Hungary, an old cookbook says that a dough will be good when a hussar and horse can be wrapped with a piece the size of a bun. True or not, the delicacy of this dough depends on its thickness.
- 700 grams of fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of grated Manchego cheese
- 90 grams of chopped fresh parsley
- 60 grams of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped chives
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ cup of sherry or white wine
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- 225 grams of clarified butter or ghee
- 250 grams of puff pastry
- Salt and pepper
How to prepare strudel with mushrooms and Manchego cheese:
- Make the ghee : put the 225 grams of butter in a saucepan over low heat and let it melt. Let stand a few minutes. Scoop the foam off the top with a spoon and the middle part transfer it to a bowl leaving the white remains of the milk solids.
- Chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
- In a large frying pan put 60 grams of butter and olive oil and over medium heat put the chives and garlic . Cook for one minute.
- Turn up the heat and add the mushrooms . Cook without stirring so that they release water and evaporate.
- Add the sherry and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheeses, walnuts and parsley . Seasoning.
- Mix the eggs with the cream cheese and add to the mushroom stew.
- Turn on the oven at 180 ° C .
- Line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry and give it a round or square shape, depending on taste. Brush it all with the ghee .
- In the center of the dough place the mushroom stew and fold as if it were an envelope. Brush on top with the ghee .
- Put on the tray and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown .
Prepare this delicious strudel with mushrooms and Manchego cheese and surprise everyone with a first class dish.