The Mexican Spicy Tofu Tortillas are a vegetarian version of a well-known dish of Mexican origin. Substitute minced meat for tofu, which is seasoned with vegetables, spices and hot chili . The tortillas can be baked or fried, as in the case of this recipe, a crispy texture is obtained that makes the dish even more appetizing. Tofu is a staple ingredient of Thai and Chinese cuisine, which is readily available in supermarkets.
Tofu contains proteins of plant origin making it highly recommended for people with high cholesterol levels. In addition, it contains eight essential amino acids for the proper functioning of the human body. Its mineral properties make it a star food for vegetarians.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 400 gr. firm tofu
- 1 avocado
- 1 green pepper
- 2 hot peppers
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 purple onion
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 lemon (the juice)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt to taste
How to prepare Mexican spicy tofu tortillas:
- Drain the tofu very well cover it with absorbent paper, put weight on it and leave to drain for 15 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu with the help of a fork.
- Peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Wash and chop the pepper and chili peppers into small pieces.
- In a frying pan, pour the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 90 seconds.
- Then, add the green pepper to the pan season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- After the time, add the tofu to the pan stir very well. Add garlic powder, cumin, and chopped chili. Stir and let cook for two minutes.
- After time, pour the red wine into the pan raise the heat to high until it comes to a boil.
- When boiling, cover and lower the heat to low. Cook for 13-15 minutes until the liquid is consumed. It should not get too dry. Book.
- Peel and cut the avocado into thin, elongated strips.
- In a frying pan, pour plenty of vegetable oil for frying. Heat over high heat and fry the tortillas until golden brown on both sides . Remove from the heat and place on absorbent paper.
- When serving, place the tofu filling on the tortilla . Add avocado strips, a little lemon juice and chopped coriander.
Give your table an international touch and offer an outstanding dish with these spicy tofu Mexican tortillas. Diners who are inclined to itchy foods will love this dish.