The Mexican Cajeta (sweet cream) recipe originates from Guanajuato, Mexico . Its popularity is such that in 2010 this dish was named “the dessert of the Bicentennial of Mexico”. The Mexican tradition is to make it in copper pans, stirring with a wooden spoon. This utensil is very important, since it indicates whether the ideal cooking point has been reached. The cajeta is usually accompanied with bread toast and cookies, it is also used as a filling for cakes and other dishes. There are different similar variants in other Latin American countries, such as the Argentine caramelbut the latter has a different texture and is prepared with cow’s milk.
goat’s milk is one of the most nutritious ingredients in this recipe. It contains multiple minerals and vitamins. It is low in cholesterol, but high in calcium and fatty acids. Calcium is an important mineral for bone and tooth health. This milk, in addition, contains few allergenic elements and is digested more easily than cow’s milk. Due to its iron concentration, it helps prevent iron deficiency anemia and bone demineralization.
- 1 ltr. of goat’s milk
- 1 ¾ cups of brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon vanilla in essence
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
How to prepare the Mexican Cajeta recipe:
- Pour the liter of goat’s milk into a wide, deep-bottomed saucepan . Add the brown sugar, half a tablespoon of vanilla essence and the fourth teaspoon of baking soda. Mix very well until the ingredients are integrated.
- Heat over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the cream thickens.
- When thickening, lower the heat to low and keep cooking for 90 minutes, stirring every so often. Care must be taken that the cooking pan does not sink.
- The cajeta must acquire the texture of the thickness of the condensed milk . To know if it is ready, when stirring with the wooden spoon, it leaves a spiral image on the surface of the cream.
- Turn off the heat and let cool very well.
- In an airtight container, pour the cajeta and keep refrigerated if possible.
The recipe for Mexican cajeta (sweet cream) is liked by everyone. It is an ideal dessert for those moments when you feel like something sweet. It can also be used as a filling for more elaborate desserts, such as tartlets and cakes. Once you learn the recipe, you will find many uses.