Japanese cuisine is much more than sushi. Furthermore, the deeply ritual character of this town means that all its food is loaded with great meaning, especially when invited to a Japanese house to eat. The most used ingredients, apart from rice, are seaweed, mushrooms, various vegetables such as spinach, aubergines, radishes, sweet potatoes, bamboo shoots negi and certain types of lettuce. Japanese-style pork chops are part of the eastern tradition of some parts of Japan, such as Okinawa .
A lot of pork is eaten on this island in the Japanese archipelago perhaps due to its proximity to China. Other meats are also common (throughout the territory), such as beef, chicken, lamb and horse and various seafood and fish. Likewise, noodles, chicken and quail eggs, miso, soy, tofu and various condiments such as sho-yu ( soy sauce ), dashi, rice vinegar or miso; wasabi, mustard, ginger, sesame seeds, walnuts, or peanuts. They use onion, chives, garlic, and leek, which, although Buddhism does not approve, modern Japan does.
- 1 kilo of pork chops
- 100 grams of fresh ginger
- 500 ml dashi broth
- 170 ml of sake
- 60 grams of mirin
- 80 grams of brown sugar
- 125 ml sho-yu, or Japanese soy sauce
How to make Japanese style pork chops:
- If desired, the chops can be boned and diced .
- Sauté them in a deep skillet or heavy-bottomed pot for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Reserve the meat and put on absorbent paper to remove as much fat as possible .
- Remove the oil from the saucepan or frying pan . Put the meat back and add water, just enough to cover it. Add the ginger cut into slices .
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours until the chops are very tender. If it is reduced a lot add some water .
- After two hours, strain and reserve the meat .
- Besides, in another deep pot, heat the dashi which is a fish broth, the sake, the mirin (a kind of sake with less alcohol), sugar and sho-yu . Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved .
- Add the meat, and cook for one hour over very low heat stirring occasionally.
- Remove the meat turn up the heat and reduce the sauce until it is caramelized and thick.
- Rectify the point of salt.
- Add chops again, stir for two minutes over medium heat .
Serve Japanese-style pork chops right away, accompanied by white rice or wok vegetables. It is a long but succulent preparation.