How to prepare a mashed potato. That the potato is one of the accompaniments par excellence of our cuisine, is an indisputable fact.
Whether French fries, baked, fried potatoes, stewed potatoes, baked potatoes, potatoes importance, stuffed potatoes, accompanied by salsa, in the salad or just for a party, potatoes accompany us in many of our recipes.
One of the most classic ways to prepare potatoes as an accompaniment is the simple and at the same time delicate mashed potato. Despite being an easy and quick recipe, we do not always get a perfect texture or flavor when preparing a homemade mashed potato. That’s why I want to leave you with a series of guidelines to follow to achieve a perfect mashed potato, how to make the best mashed potato recipe.
Ingredients For How To Make Mashed Potatoes
- 1 kg. potatoes (if possible to cook)
- 2 l. water (or until they are covered)
- Salt to taste)
- 60 gr. Butter
- 100 ml. whole milk
Choice The Type Of Potato
- As a first step when preparing a good mashed potato, we have the decision to choose the type of potato. It is important that the variety chosen has a starchy amount, of the floury type.
- Within this group, we have the Baraka, Kennebec or Monalisa that, due to the amount of starch that they contribute, will help us to obtain a creamier purée. It is important that we do not use waxy type potatoes that may be better for frying.
- Another point to keep in mind is the time of the potato, the ideal is that they are neither new nor too old.
How To Cook Potatoes
We must cook the whole potatoes, without peeling and trying to make them all the same size.
On the one hand, cook them with skin to prevent the cooking water from getting into the potato, leaving it slightly watered, which would be detrimental to the final texture of the mash. We must try, as much as possible, that all are the same size since the cooking point of a large potato will be different from that of a small potato at the same time, the larger potatoes will be somewhat raw or the small ones too cooked.
Cook the potatoes by introducing them in a casserole dish and covering them with lightly salted cold water. We will cook them for about 30 minutes, depending a little on the size of the potatoes we have chosen.
We can verify that the potatoes are in their point when piercing them with a knife they do not offer resistance, they allow us to prick them and to retire the knife without they undo.
How To Crush The Potatoes
Once we have perfectly cooked potatoes and drain them from the cooking water. With a sharp knife and while still hot, we remove the outer skin.
The time to crush them is a point to take into account when it comes to getting a creamy potato puree, smooth and without lumps.
We can use a potato crusher, utensil designed specifically for this type of preparations. A classic masher or even a simple fork, always treating the potato hot. And only what is necessary, without overworking it.
What is not recommended is that we use an electric mixer or any type of food processor. These appliances will mistreat the potato starch, causing the final texture of the mash to be chewy.
How To Incorporate The Butter, Salt, And Milk
- When adding the butter, it is important that it is at room temperature. This way it will be easier to incorporate it into the potatoes and we will avoid having to work excessively to integrate them.
- It will be easier for the butter to melt, with the heat of the potato if we use it at room temperature than if it were cold.
- The milk should be heated before adding it to the potatoes: It will help it to stay perfectly combined and will result in a creamier purée.
- Although we have already cooked the potato with some salt. It is at this time when we can check if it has gone up enough or it is necessary to complete the amount.
- That’s why it’s important that we do not boil the potatoes with an excessive amount of salt. It is preferable to keep something short and then rectify the amount at the end of the process.
How To Serve And Preserve Mashed Potatoes
- Something fundamental if what we want is to serve the best possible mashed potatoes, is to do it at the right time. That is, as soon as possible once we have it ready.
- This is a preparation that should not wait for the rest of the meal. It will be at its point if we consume it freshly prepared.
- If we had to prepare it in advance. The way to keep it warm is to keep it in a bain-marie over low heat, taking the precaution of covering it with a transparent film or a dishcloth.
- If what has happened is that we have left over from one meal to another. We can store it in the fridge for up to 48 hours, taking care to cover its surface with a transparent film.
- The plastic must be completely stuck to the top layer of the mash. This will prevent it from drying out. When it is time to put it back on the table, we heat it in a bain-marie, covering it with a thin layer of milk, stirring it until it is integrated.
How to Make Variations Of Our Traditional Mashed Potato
- We can make fun and original mashed potato by adding various ingredients to the basic mix.
- Incorporating an egg yolk will enrich the mixture and add creaminess. We can also incorporate a different touch if we add a pinch of some type of grated cheese that is creamy and has a characteristic flavor.
- A tablespoon of thyme, basil or fresh and very minced parsley will leave us a category mashed potato.
- After all these guidelines I am convinced that making the best mashed potatoes will no longer have secrets for you. You just have to put it into practice and enjoy a yummy potato puree.
Want To Know More: Benefits Of Mashed Potatoes
Secrets To Preparing Delicious Mashed Potatoes
There are many ways to present mashed potatoes. Nothing simpler than salcochar this tuber, preferably the yellow one, and step on it to obtain that soft texture, which with a trickle of milk and butter becomes more delicious.
Even this food serves as a basis for different preparations, such as croquettes and baked cakes.
There are ingredients and procedures that add to the puree, get great results. The Kitchen and Wine portal offers these ideas:
Add white cheese is a rich alternative. It is softened by the heat of the potato and gives it quite tasty acids. It can be any hard white cheese, both grated and chopped into small cubes. Feta is a good selection. Also, yellow cheeses like cheddar or Munster, sliced or grated. These melt, give a striking color and more aromas. To prepare it, it is placed in the oven in refractory containers.
The cheeses ripened like parmesan or pecorino, especially if they gratinate, add to the whole. Baked with the top burner on and voila. Not only will it acquire that intense flavor, but you will also get a crispy cover.
2) Mushrooms, legumes and other vegetables
A good purée with small trips of other ingredients becomes more appetizing. The complements to take into account are several, but the best ones are mushrooms, preferably cooked; Peas, sofritas or caramelized onions, garlic, spinach or garlic. Some crudes are excellent, like chives or beets. Fine beet strips on top of the puree is a great idea, highly recommended.
3) Spicy touches
Well, if it is about malice, a spicy point is ideal. It is made with yellow pepper or hot pepper. Incorporated in adequate amounts, according to the taste of guests. This is also obtained with dry chili flakes, cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce.
The egg is amazing when beautifying a mashed potato is about. For this, it is placed raw on top of the mash and taken to the oven. When cooked, just add a little salt. If the yolk is still soft, the result is a real show.
5) Other dairy products
In addition to milk and butter, there are other dairy products that transform this garnish into a divinity. For example, you can incorporate cream, so it is much creamier, or a point of buttermilk, to give some acidity. A few spoonfuls of cream cheese close the options.
6) Herbs and spices
Pepper is a perfect ally of puree, both black and white, depending on how much the aesthetics matter to the cook on duty. Similarly, the parsley, finely chopped; the dill, the thyme or the rosemary. Fresh or dry, according to the taste of each one.
7) Meats and sausages
The most popular, The bacon spread on top in pieces. Some pieces of chorizo or chicken are also considerable. Maybe some shredded white fish or some shrimp. You have to let the imagination fly and experiment.
8) Flavored Oils
Sometimes you can keep the minimalist wave and solve everything with little. An olive oil flavored with garlic or truffles will give the missing touch.
9) Sauces and reductions
In the United States, it is customary to serve mashed gravy, which is prepared with some fats and juices of the meat. Perhaps it is valid to try sauces of seafood, coffee, vinegar or with reductions of funds. Any broth that suits the taste so perfect of the potato.
The puree admits any of these ingredients and the chef has the freedom to make the combinations that seem appropriate. How would you like yours?