This recipe for Homemade Corn, Bacon and Mushroom Empanada is an exquisite synthesis of the cuisine of the Old and New Continents . To start, the Spanish empanada is a preparation of two layers of dough with a filling in the middle and is always baked. Meanwhile, Latin American empanadas are equivalent to Spanish empanadillas and can be baked or fried. A typical Latin American empanada is the “humita”, with a corn-based filling. Bacon and mushrooms add a modern and sophisticated touch.
For a Latin American meal with friends, use the same filling and tapas for dumplings to make some different humitas . If you do not get the dough, it is very easy to do it with the pie. Stretch it out a bit and cut 8-10 cm circles. in diameter with a cookie cutter or marking them with a coffee plate. Fill each circle with a tablespoon of filling fold the dough on itself, close and bake.
- 2 sheets of fresh empanada dough
- 1 can of creamy corn
- 1 can of corn kernels
- 2 large onions
- 100 gr. bacon or bacon
- 1 red pepper
- 150 gr. fresh or drained mushrooms
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 2 beaten eggs
- Keep the dough in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Remove the skin from the onions, cut into small cubes.
- Wash the pepper, open it lengthwise, discard the seeds and cut into cubes.
- Chop the bacon or bacon.
- Chop the mushrooms.
- Make a sofrito with the onions, bell pepper, bacon and mushrooms, seasoning to taste until the onions are transparent and the bell pepper is tender.
- Remove from the pan and place in a large bowl.
- Add the contents of the cans and the grated cheese.
- Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Flirt with one egg + 1 egg white . Let cool .
- Take a sheet of dough and line a baking sheet of the appropriate size. Fill with the preparation and cover with the other sheet of dough.
- Join both sheets so that the filling does not escape. Paint the surface with the remaining yolk and bake until the dough is golden and crisp.
This homemade corn, bacon and mushroom pie is ideal for a light meal or for those who must eat away from home, since it can be eaten hot or cold. A true recipe of two worlds that you must not stop trying.