French toast is a dish with history. It is believed that already in the 4th and 5th centuries there is mention in some cookbooks of “dipping bread in milk”, although it does not mention eggs. Definitely, in the Middle Ages it was common to put slices of bread in milk and sweeten them, and even serve them as accompaniment to game birds. It spread throughout Europe and usually slices of bread were dipped in milk and fried (yes, it is French toast). The good thing about baked homemade milk French toast is that it saves frying.
In Spain, the word “torrija” (or toast) already appears in a Christmas Carol by Juan del Encina in 1496, and Lope also mentions it in some of his works. Apparently they were prepared as adequate food for women in labor. At the beginning of the 20th century, they were common in Madrid taverns and served with flat. However, are more associated with the Lenten season perhaps due to the need to take advantage of the leftover bread and since it was a time of fasting for meat, you had to eat whatever you had to eat. hand.
The Leonese Academy of Gastronomy, since 2013, organizes every year the Torrijas National Competition for professional chefs from Leon. And in the United States it is usual to take French toast ( french toasts ) as breakfast .
- 1 loaf of bread from the previous day
- 1 liter of milk
- 1 lemon peel
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200 grams of honey
- ½ glass of water
- Sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle
How to prepare baked homemade French toast:
- Cut the loaf of bread into slices 1 cm thick.
- Boil the milk with the lemon peel, cinnamon and sugar. Remove the cinnamon and the lemon peel.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Dip the slices of bread in the milk and soak them on both sides.
- Pass them through the beaten eggs .
- Place the slices on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil or sulfurized.
- Bake in grill mode .
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan put the honey and water on the fire leave a few minutes until a syrup is formed.
- Turn the French toast to brown on both sides (10 minutes per side).
- Remove from the oven, soak with the hot syrup and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon.
Homemade baked milk French toast is delicious anytime. For dessert or snack, or to quench a craving, this recipe is great, especially if you accompany it with a good hot chocolate.