It is not necessary that this year we deprive ourselves of eating French toast, because with some simple tricks we can make this recipe much less caloric and healthier. Nobody wants to give up the main dessert of Easter and everyone at home enjoys it. Therefore we are going to cook it so that the result is equally delicious, and even better.
An excellent option for making healthy French toast is to use wholemeal bread or semi-wholemeal bread. We can also substitute molasses or sugar for healthier toppings such as honey, yogurt, cocoa, compote.
The traditional recipe does not change, and the options are endless. You can try various accompaniments, so that each member of the family can choose their favorite combination: blueberries with nuts, strawberries with yogurt and berries … This Easter, at home, we are going to cook some delicious and healthy French toast.
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 1 loaf of whole wheat or semi whole wheat bread
- 1 liter and ½ of milk (can be almond milk, rice milk, oat milk, etc.)
- ½ lemon peel
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 eggs
- ½ liter of olive oil
- Honey (yogurt, compote)
- Optional: Fruits (strawberries, blueberries), nuts, seeds.
- Cut the slices of thick wholemeal bread so that the French toast is not dry.
- Prepare the ingredients to flavor in a wide and low source, like a baking dish.
- Heat the milk over medium heat and remove it from the heat before the boiling breaks.
- Wait for the milk to cool down a bit and pour it into a container .
- Add the grated zest of the lemon, the cinnamon stick and the vanilla.
- Place the bread slices and soak for 10 to 15 minutes or until well soaked.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the flavored milk
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and pour a few drops of olive oil.
- Remove the French toast from one of the milk, pass them through the egg and place them in the pan. Bread should be well soaked, but not dripping.
- Cook each French toast over medium heat because if you overdo it, the interior may be raw. Then flip it over and cook on the other side.
- Go placing the French toast on paper to dry. If you use little oil, they should be golden and dry.
- Accompany the French toast with honey, with yogurt, with fruit or with the combination that you like the most.
You can also prepare an apple or pear compote, dip them in chocolate rich in cocoa, combine them with coconut yogurt and grated coconut. There are many ways to prepare French toast for Easter in a much healthier way. Leave us your recipe for healthy French toast and share it on the networks!