This Greek Style Chickpea Stew is a very popular dish in the Greek Islands, specifically, in Sifnos. It is a vegetarian meal of great nutritional value, ideal to incorporate into the menu of healthy meals at home . In its preparation it must be taken into account that it is required to hydrate the chickpea to obtain a better result from the dish. To do this, it is left to soak the night before it is cooked, which will give the legume a better texture. The stew is cooked over low heat for approximately three hours to obtain excellent results.
Chickpea is a legume that provides multiple benefits to the human body. It constitutes an excellent source of vegetable protein, ideal for vegan and vegetarian diets . Its fiber content helps intestinal transit, fighting constipation. Chickpeas are recommended for people suffering from anemia, thanks to its high iron content. Furthermore, they are rich in vitamins and minerals, which strengthens the body’s immune system.
- ½ kg. of dried chickpeas
- 4 medium onions
- 2 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 lt. of water
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
How to prepare chickpea stew in the Greek style:
- In a container with enough water, add the chickpeas and soak the night before cooking.
- After the time, drain the chickpeas, wash them and reserve them for a later time.
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into pieces of 1.5 x 1.5 cm.
- Peel and cut the onions into 1 x 1 cm pieces.
- Put in a saucepan abundant water, olive oil, dill, onion and chopped potato . Let cook over high heat until boiling.
- When the water boils, add the reserved chickpeas. It is important not to add the chickpeas to the water until it is boiling, otherwise the legumes could harden.
- When boiling, cover the saucepan, reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 hours.
- After two hours, add the pepper and salt. Stir and let cook for an additional 45 minutes until the chickpea is tender and creamy.
- Depending on the class of chickpeas they are, they will require more or less cooking time.
Bring to your table a nutritious and delicious dish that will provide energy and nutrients to all members of your family. Prepare this chickpea stew in the Greek style and everyone at home will ask to repeat.