Indian naan bread is a type of homemade bread that does not need to be baked much more delicious and consistent than ordinary Indian chapati. This frying pan bread is believed to have been born around the 16th century and was created by the Persians and adopted by Egyptians, after yeast was discovered. Indian naan is very easy to make. Once it is ready, it is advisable to keep it covered with a clean cloth, and it can be heated or placed in the toaster. The result is a homemade bread that can be accompanied in many ways and is ideal for making sandwiches.
Surely you have ever seen how naan bread is cooked in India. The pancakes are kneaded and placed on the walls of the tandoori ovens which are kept at a very high temperature. At home, cook in the pan. The process is very simple, since the dough is prepared and can be cooked at the same time as the following are kneaded.
- 375 grams of flour (approx. 3 ½ cups)
- 100 ml of whole milk
- 150 ml of water
- 4 tablespoons of butter (or ghee)
- 3 grams of yeast
- 6 grams of salt
- Oil (to grease the bowl of the dough when rising)
Optional: Grated cheese, minced garlic or spices.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and knead for a few minutes.
- Let it ferment until it doubles its volume covered with plastic wrap or a kitchen cloth. Ideally, put the mixture in a room or a corner of the house with a warm temperature.
- Spread the counter with a little oil, place the dough and divide it into 8 pieces that are the closest to each other.
- Knead each portion into a ball and let stand covered for approximately 1 hour.
- Once they have fermented, stretch the portions, shaping the pancakes . They should be about 3 mm thick.
- Heat the pan, brown each sheet of bread on both sides .
- When you take out each bagel, pinch them with melted butter .
Naan bread is delicious when it’s still hot, one minute after it comes out of the pan. But you can also heat it up a little in the oven or toast it. Its flavor is not so good, but it can be accompanied with cheese, cold cuts or sauces to make it more appetizing. Share this recipe for bread without oven, the exotic and delicious Indian bread. All your friends will love it.