A Cuban cold salad is an ideal choice at any gathering, birthdays, Christmas parties, weddings, etc., that is made between Cubans. Each house gives it its personal touch, and the base is a short pasta generally coditos, macaroni or the like, although some people use spaghetti, but it is not common. The animal protein added to it is very varied: from tuna to chicken, ham or sausages, depending on budget and taste.
In Cuban gastronomy this recipe enjoys absolute popularity, for the speed with which it is made and for the relative ease of its ingredients. They can cover, according to the taste of the person preparing it, a large universe of vegetables and greens. You can substitute the pasta for very small cut potatoes, adding to the cooking water a tablespoon of vinegar per liter of water. This in order that they soften, but not fall apart.
- 500 grams of coditos, of the smallest
- Mayonnaise, the necessary
- 1 pineapple
- 250 grams of minced tuna
- 1 onion
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 red pepper
How to prepare the Cuban cold salad:
- The first thing, make the pasta according to the manufacturer’s instructions . Strain and let cool. Book.
- Drain the tuna and mince it .
- Cut the onion, bell pepper, and celery as often as possible, as well as parsley.
- Add to the paste still warm . Book.
- Cook the eggs. Once made, cut them into very small pieces .
- Peel the pineapple and cut it into 1 cm pieces .
- When the pasta is at room temperature put it in a large glass (preferably), plastic or ceramic salad bowl, but never metallic .
- Add the finely chopped tuna and the egg .
- Mix very well with a wooden spoon.
- Add 4 heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise (quantity will depend on taste), stir very well.
- Then add the pineapple stir again. Add the parsley.
- When all the ingredients are incorporated, season with salt and pepper .
- You can add a teaspoon of vinegar .
- Refrigerate and serve cold .
This salad is very practical because it can basically be a harvesting recipe. Another thing is not to overdo the mayonnaise, because you run the risk of covering the flavor of all the ingredients, and not overdoing it in the pasta cooking either: al dente is perfect. You can substitute pineapple with apple and even pineapple in syrup, which will give it a sweet and spectacular touch.