French toast is typical of the season of Lent and Easter in our country. Its origin is very old, the famous Roman chef Marcus Gavius Apicius had the recipe for this sweet in his famous recipe book, or at least one very similar to the current French toast. This recipe for crunchy French toast for Easter brings some changes (not substantial) but they give a really special touch to the original recipe.
With the passage of time, especially from the 15th century, the French toast became very popular as a diet, and they were made with small slices of old bread and a glass of wine. Little by little and considering the fasting time that characterizes Lent, the French toast became a dish of use during the time when meat is not eaten, and was used as a palliative against general hunger. In this way they became the typical sweets of Easter and Lent.
- 1 loaf of French toast bread or one loaf from the day before
- 1 ½ whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 eggs
- 300 grams of sugar
- Crispy Chocolate Oatmeal
- Crispy oats
- Agave syrup
- Sufficient oil for frying
How to prepare the new recipe for crunchy French toast for Easter:
- Put the milk in a saucepan on the fire, dissolve the sugar . Add the cinnamon stick. If you want to do it in the microwave, heat at maximum power for two minutes .
- Cut the loaf of bread into slices that are neither too thick nor too thin .
- Dip the slices of bread in the milk. It is about wetting and absorbing liquid, but not too much so that they can be handled later.
- Beat the eggs and pass the slices of bread dipped in milk through them .
- In a frying pan put enough oil, heat. When hot, fry the French toast by browning them on both sides .
- Mix the crisp oats and chocolate.
- When you finish frying the French toast, coat them in sugar and refrigerate .
- Serve fresh by adding a dash of agave syrup and sprinkling the crisp oats on top.
If you want to serve them hot the French toast, do not put them in the fridge. The crispy oatmeal and chocolate give a really different touch to this typical sweet of Lent. If you wish, mix the sugar with the crunchies, and thus the crunchy sensation is enhanced, and eat right away so that there is no time for the sugar to dissolve.