Enjoying the pleasures of food goes far beyond its taste, cooking it and imagining ourselves eating it in special places can help us spend these days with a smile. The Japanese fried chicken or Karaage is one of those confinement recipes that will become a discovery. The white meat of chicken is one of the most consumed in the world and in Japan they are experts in giving it its special touch. The art of creating the crunchiest and most delicate snack in the world has its trick. A special batter and a marinade that will make it a food worthy of the most homemade samurai and geisha.
- 600 gr of chicken thighs
- 50 gr of wheat flour
- 50 gr of cornstarch flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 grated garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons of Japanese yu Shoyu ’sauce or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of Sake (optional)
- White pepper
How to prepare a Japanese fried chicken
- The secret of this chicken is in to make a good marinade beforehand . The art of Japanese cuisine is all about spending time on each step, letting food meld together seamlessly.
- We will get down to work preparing this marinade. For this recipe we will use some chicken thighs although we can use any part that we have at home. If we have some breasts that we have left over or some thighs, they are a good option.
- Shoyu sauce is a Japanese soy sauce we can add any other type that we have at home. We put it in a bowl. We incorporate the 3 tablespoons of sake, this step is optional, but it will give it a more authentic flavor.
- We add the grated ginger it can be powdered in case it is not fresh at home. Peel and chop the garlic cloves and grate them in the same marinade.
- With this mixture we cover the chicken . We smear it well so you can get all these intense and delicate flavors.
- We prepare the batter . We will use two types of flour in equal parts, cornstarch and wheat. Both will give it color, flavor and that crisp touch we are looking for. If we have potato starch, which is the authentic one of the recipe much better, although in this way it will also be fine.
- We beat the egg and add a pinch of white pepper . This ingredient will finish creating the ideal batter.
- We prepare the pan with plenty of soy or sunflower oil. We batter the pieces to start frying them. It is important that the oil is very hot.
- As we have the pieces cooked, we put them on absorbent paper to remove excess oil. We serve it with some lemon wedges, a white rice or a mayonnaise