Wood pigeons are highly regarded game birds in specialty restaurants. This recipe for pigeons casserole is a traditional preparation and is usually eaten in autumn and winter, as a main course. The casserole preparations are so old that even Cervantes mentions this culinary technique in Quixote but with the name of rotten pot which some consider like the older sister of the casserole.
The casserole, in addition to the container where food is cooked is a low-bodied and glazed pot inside ideal for preserving heat and admitting oven cooking. It is usually made of clay. It is typical of Portugal, Spain, Italy and France, and of many Latin American countries for its Hispanic heritage. The traditional recipe for the casserole consists of a stew with meat from various sources (chicken, cow, pork, rabbit, turkey, goose, field hen, etc.) and various vegetables.
- 4 clean and whole pigeons
- 2 leeks
- 1 carrot
- 3 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 300 grams of assorted mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 250 ml of vinegar
- 300 ml of poultry stock
- Thyme or rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to prepare the recipe for pigeons in the casserole:
- It is necessary to macerate the clean pigeons in a large pot with the bottle of red wine, an onion and garlic for 4 days in the fridge.
- As time goes by, remove the pigeons from the marinade, drain them and dry them with kitchen paper .
- In a saucepan, cook the pigeons over low heat with olive oil.
- Cut the onions, leeks and carrots into slices and the garlic into small pieces.
- Cut the mushrooms into not too thin sheets .
- Add the vegetables to the casserole, as well as the bay leaf and thyme.
- When the vegetables are soft add part of the maceration wine, vinegar and poultry stock until the pigeons are completely covered.
- Simmer until the meat is soft and tender .
- When the pigeons are tender, add the mushrooms.
- Rectify with salt and pepper and cook the whole a few more minutes.
- When they are ready, remove the pigeons, cut them in half and put them in another pan .
- Pass the sauce through the mixer and then through the Chinese .
- Cover the pigeons again with the crushed sauce rectify with salt and pepper and heat.
- Serve hot .
You can accompany the recipe for pigeons in the casserole with a good slice of fried bread and a glass of red. Dare with this seasonal preparation and surprise your guests with a traditional dish.