The Swiss milk bread braid is a traditional bread of the gastronomy of that country . Its mass is tender and its flavor is slightly sweet. The crumb is soft and aromatic thanks to the quantity of milk it carries. Its name is due to its shape, which resembles a braid, and is usually consumed at breakfast during the holidays. The presentation may vary depending on who prepares it, since there are different types of knots for braiding. There are those who do it with two, three and even five strips of dough, depending on the cook’s taste.
Bread is one of the most consumed foods in the entire world in hundreds of variations. It provides energy to the body, thanks to its high content of carbohydrates. On the other hand, wheat fiber helps to improve intestinal transit and, with it, digestive function . Among its most important nutrients are potassium, iron, magnesium, folic acid, and vitamins B6 and B2.
- 4 ¼ cups flour
- 160 gr. butter at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups of warm milk
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ¾ tablespoon of salt
- 1 egg yolk
How to Make Braided Sweet Milk Bread:
- Put the wheat flour in a bowl with the salt, the baking powder and the sugar .
- Then, add the butter and mix very well until obtaining a homogeneous mass.
- Add the warm milk to the dough and continue kneading.
- Transfer the dough to a flat surface, previously floured. Knead for 10 more minutes until to obtain a soft and elastic dough .
- Form into a ball with the dough, cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- After the time, knead again for 2 minutes. Form a ball and divide it into two parts.
- Roll out the dough and form two ropes of the same size and a thicker one. The center part of the strings should be thicker . Form a braid.
- In an ovenproof tray, put baking paper until its surface is covered. Put the braid on the tray.
- Beat the egg yolk in a bowl and paint the braid . Let it rest for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes until golden. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
Surprise your family or friends next Sunday by bringing this delicious milk bread braid to the table. You can accompany it with honey, jam, chocolate syrup, ham, cheese or butter.