Did you think basil was only good for making pesto? Let us tell you that this aromatic plant which can be grown in pots at home, has many medicinal properties and is rich in calcium, potassium and vitamin B. However, its use in cooking has not been much explored, beyond flavoring sauces or butter. Today we will turn her into a true protagonist with this basil ice cream recipe seen in Italy and loved all over the world.
This basil ice cream recipe is not complicated, but it is quite caloric. If you don’t want to deprive yourself of its exquisite taste and texture, simply consume smaller portions. But if you are one of those who cannot resist a good portion of ice cream we recommend you lower your calories using skim milk, sweetener and flaxseed flour to replace the yolks. The ratio is ¼ cup of water and 1 teaspoon of flaxseed for each yolk. It will give you an exotic nutty flavor.
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup of sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup of cold whipped cream
- Bring the milk to the boil with the basil, ¼ cup of sugar and a pinch of salt stirring constantly.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or mixer and mix until the basil is reduced to very fine pieces for approximately 1 minute.
- Beat the yolks with the remaining sugar until a homogeneous and pale mixture is obtained.
- Add the milk smoothie and mix until well combined.
- Place the mixture in a saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. It should not boil.
- Remove from the heat and put the saucepan inside a larger one with ice water. Stir until mixture cools.
- Add the whipped cream and place in the ice cream machine. If you don’t have one, put the mixture in the freezer and stir it with a fork every two hours. It is about breaking the freezing crystals and making the end result creamy.
Tips for using this ice cream: as dessert accompanied by candied cherries or strawberry sauce. Like snack, a scoop of ice cream accompanied by cherry tomatoes and gingerbread cookies. As a refreshment at any time of the day. To the lemon: add lemon zest to the sugar and mix well to flavor. To the mint: add ½ cup of fresh mint leaves to the basil leaves. To the melon: add 200 gr. of ripe melon puree.