Bosbousa is a cake made from semolina and ground almonds soaked in syrup . It is typical of the countries of the southern Mediterranean, the Middle East and North Africa and it has various and diverse names. It is called basbousa in Arabic, revani in Turkish, and ravani in Greek, although it is also more popularly known in Arabic as hareesa. In Greece, in the northern city of Veria, it is called the same as in Turkish, revani, the basbousa recipe being a traditional dessert for many years.
The gastronomy of the Middle East, and of the Mediterranean, has contributed numerous preparations that are already part of ordinary life. This particular dessert is highly prepared in all these regions, and will be available both in bakeries and restaurants, as well as in any home. Semolina is the main ingredient and the others vary from country to country: pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts and even coconut. The dessert is usually dipped after leaving the oven in a cold sugar syrup that can sometimes be flavored with orange blossom water, orange or lemon zest, and spices such as cloves and cinnamon.
- 500 grams of fine durum wheat semolina
- 100 grams of ground almonds
- 70 grams of icing sugar + 220 grams
- 100 grams of melted butter
- 350 grams of plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 120 grams of pistachios, roasted and crushed
- 260 ml of water
- 2 tablespoons of rose or orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to prepare the basbousa recipe:
- To prepare the syrup : in a saucepan pour 220 grams of sugar, water and lemon juice and cook over high heat.
- When it boils, reduce the heat and cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes . Remove from the fire.
- When it is completely cold, add the rose or orange blossom water and mix well. Book.
- In a large bowl, mix the semolina, ground almonds, 70 grams of sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the oil, the yogurt. Mix.
- Grease and flour a baking dish.
- Pour the preparation into the source and smooth with a spatula until the corners are well filled .
- Draw with a knife in the dough 5 cm squares.
- Put the mixture to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- When removing from the oven, pour the syrup evenly .
- Sprinkle with crushed pistachios . Let cool completely before cutting the portions.
It really is a very aromatic dessert, with an explosion of flavor in the mouth when eating, and a different texture, very attractive even for the most demanding palates.